Dr. Handan Tezel offered us the opportunity to get to know her a bit more and to better understand the process of becoming an engineering professor in the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering at the University of Ottawa. She explained her specific path to completing a Ph.D. while having a family and she offered these tips for students:
– “Develop your personal life, as well as your career.
– Get involved in different activities and grow your network.
– Make sure that you enjoy your work.
– Figure out what you are good at.
– Figure out what you enjoy doing.
– Put yourself in different situations to figure out your strengths and weaknesses.”
Dr. Tezel, thank you for your advice and for sharing your wisdom with us!